Do you live within Thurston County and have a pet that needs to be spayed or neutered? Are you a little short on funds to pay for the surgery? We can help.
Dogs and cats can be safely spayed or neutered at 3 months of age, which is recommended by the American Veterinary Medical Association and the National Humane Education Society. If you have a dog or cat needing this service, please select one of the following:
Thurston County Humane Society
This voucher is for Thurston County residents who are low-income. If this applies to you, here are the steps to take:
- Make an appointment at a participating vet. The list of vets is can be found on the Thurston County Humane Society’s website. Their website also lists the details of the voucher.
- Once you have an appointment, call Animal Services at 360-352-2510 to check on voucher availability. If a voucher is available, we will schedule an appointment for you to come to the Shelter to pick up your voucher.
For any questions on this Spay/Neuter voucher, please call the Thurston County Humane Society at 360-866-8986.
Concern for Animals
Please contact them directly for assistance.
Northwest Spay & Neuter Center
Tacoma area low-cost spay/neuter program (not limited to Tacoma residents.)
If you have questions, please call us at the Shelter at (360) 352-2510.
Spaying or neutering your pet:
- Prevents unwanted pregnancies and litters;
- Prevents uterine cancer and pyometra in females and testicular cancer in dogs, since it completely removes the reproductive organs;
- Prevents pets from roaming to look for a “mate;”
- Prevents unwanted pets from being euthanized in overcrowded shelters.
10 Myths about Spaying and Neutering your Pet
MYTH #1: My pet will get fat and lazy.
MYTH #2: It's too expensive to have my pet spayed or neutered.
MYTH #3: But my pet is a purebred.
MYTH #4: I'll find good homes for all the puppies and kittens.
MYTH #5: It's better to have one litter first.
MYTH #6: I don't want my male dog or cat to feel like less of a male.
MYTH #7: But my dog (or cat) is so special, I want a puppy (or kitten) just like her.
MYTH #8: It's not right to neuter a male. Only females should be sterilized because they're the ones that have litters.
MYTH #9: My children should experience the miracle of birth.
MYTH #10: I want my dog to be protective.